Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Everything

Hey Everyone!

I know it looks like I'm another typical CP blogger who doesn't post anything after they check in to the College Program.  Well, that's not entirely my fault.  You see, when I got my apartment there was no power adapter for the Internet router.  We had to keep calling the office and they finally sent one out 8 days later.  The rest of the time since check in has been pretty tiring so that's why I haven't posted anything.

Now, on with the real stuff.

Check-In:
On the morning of January 19th, I woke up bright and early and was on the road with my mom by 6:15 am.  I figured I'd be at Vista Way nice and early that way.  But boy, were there a lot of people there already; and it wasn't even 7 am yet.  In short, if you're looking for a specific apartment, you'll want to try and get to Vista before 7 am.

So now I had a hour plus wait until they opened the gates for Check-In.  I started up a conversation with a couple of people in line next to me so we weren't bored the whole time.  They were both nice and we pretty much stuck with each other the rest of check in.  Once the gates opened, I followed the mass of people headed for the back of the complex.  The Check-In process was really simple.  They gave us our program guides and we headed off to fill out a little paperwork.  Then we got to the room where we got to request our apartment.  I asked if they had any 1 bedrooms available, and preferably in Patterson, but they were out in Patterson.  So I am now living in a 1 bedroom apartment in Chatham Square. (I'll write more about the apartment later)

After I got my apartment assignment, I headed for the bus to Casting.  I saw and talked to a lot of people that morning.  But I found out my job location (Fantasyland Merchandise in Magic Kingdom) and learned more about the classes offered.  I had to go through a background check and got my fingerprints scanned.  Really easy stuff.  Then I got my paycheck card; basically, they sign you up for a Visa Debit card and every week your paycheck goes onto that.  You can sign up for direct deposit right away but only if you have a voided check with you.  Otherwise, you have to wait and do it on the Hub after you've gotten 2 pay checks.

Apartment:
Casting went well, and soon I was back at Vista.  I called my mom and she picked me up and we went to find my apartment.  My building is in the somewhat center of the complex, not far from the main entrance.  So while I have to walk out to the bus stop every day, it's not too far.  Actually, I'm not too far from anything.  I have a quick little youtube video that I'll post in the next post. 

My apartment is much, much smaller than I was expecting.  I mean, I knew it would be small, but we don't have a dining area (we got a breakfast bar with 2 stools), we don't have a pantry (I had to rearrange all of the dishes so that we had room for groceries), but the closet is a decent size.

Roommate:
My roommate.  It's hard to describe her, other than to say she's very quiet.  I was hoping to get someone who was talkative like me or really fun.  We get along just fine, but we don't hang out at all.  Sometimes I wish that I had requested a 2 bedroom instead, just so I'd have someone to talk to.  Anyways, we've split the apartment just about equally in terms of space; cupboards, fridge/freezer, drawers, etc.  Though I've been the one to buy most of the stuff in the apartment.  Her mom helped her buy more shared neccessities like t.p. and paper towels but I had to buy a toaster oven (Walmart was out of toasters), and I got a bath mat and step stool. 

My roommate is in a relationship with her phone.  When ever I try to talk to her, she giggles, gives a short answer and goes back to texting or Facebook on her phone.  She's really nice but sometimes I wish she were more social.  She also stays in the bedroom most of the time.  I offered for her to use my TV and DVD player/DVDs in the living room when she wants to, but she just stays in the bedroom with her TV there.

At least she's not bad, or messy.  I got a pretty good deal out of a roommate.

Work:
Everyone always wants to know about Traditions class.  Well, it's something everyone has tot ake before starting the rest of their training.  Basically, they go over a lot  of general information about the company like a brief history, the 4 keys, and the 4 basics.  Now if you work at the Magic Kingdom, you'll have the 4 Basics drilled into your head.  So learn them early.  We had to ssit through a few short films but overall, it was enjoyable.  We also got to go through a bit of Magic Kingdom during Traditions (Disney university is right next to MK).

After that I had Once Upon a Time ... Is Now, which is MK's park orientation.  We did a lot of walking that day, so wear comfortable shoes.  We toured the park and even got to go on a couple of rides.  It was interesting because, as a guest, there are just some things, you never notice.

Once the park orientation part was over, trainers brought us to the costuming building where we got our costumes.  There was only one other person in our group who was assigned Fantasyland Merchandise.  Sam and later Kelsey, and I all did most of out training together this past week.  We finished early, so I was able to head back home.

I had many days of training in Fantasyland after that.  Learning the different stores and carts I would have to work and learning how to stock.  And my favourite training so far, learning how to embroider the back of the Mickey Ear hats.  That was a lot of fun.

I finished all of my official training last Thursday and had a nice 2 days off.  On my second day off, I took the buses up to visit my sister in Winterpark, FL. 

So I think that's just about it for this post.  It's been very long.  I'll try to post again soon with the pics from Universal, as well as some from Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment